We decided to celebrate Jason getting his first job by heading up north for a few days. As we were all packed up and heading up north I posted a pic of all the kids crammed into the back of the van with the label "Duluth or Bust" and we did make it to Duluth but it was kind of a bust.
We enjoyed Duluth immensely. The kids loved the place we stayed and everything was what a vacation should be. We ate junk, slept in different beds, went swimming, you name it we were enjoying it...except poor Elias. Right before we left in the morning he got sick. We didn't think anything of it as he occasionally gets sick after breakfast when recovering from a cold. He happens to have his mom's gag reflex and I get it. But as the weekend went on it was apparent this wasn't a one time gig. Poor Lyla was so excited to share a bed with Elias but woke up crying in the middle of the night because her brother had puked all over her (if you ask her about vacation this is the only thing she remembers). After making a huge scene at breakfast we decided to pack up and head home. Something wasn't right. By Sunday after nap Elias couldn't sit up on his own, wasn't making eye contact and was very lethargic. Poor kid was freaking me out so off to the ER we headed. I hate ERs, it seems to be a hurry up and wait kind of thing.
When we got there the poor kid looked like this. I was supposed to make him drink apple juice and eat crackers to perk him up so we could be on our way. Next they wanted a urine sample and let me tell you a urine sample on an unpotty-trained dehydrated kid is no fun. As we were waiting for those results Elias gave the nurses quite a mess to clean and at that point it was decided that he could not drink on his own (duh the clenched teeth and everything else wasn't a good enough sign?!?) so he had to get an IV to perk him up and send him on his way. I knew he was really sick because of two reasons - the first - he did not try to get out of the hospital bed once. Usually when in a small confined room like a doctor's office I have to play whack-a-mole trying to keep them out of trouble and the second reason -
He didn't even flinch when they put the IV in. They let him play the iPad while they put it in and he didn't even notice. He was a trooper. There was then more waiting as they hydrated him in hopes of getting him to perk up and check out of the ER. Well the fluids drained and he just laid there looking pathetic. So now they believed that he wasn't feeling well and he got a ride to x-ray, ultrasound and CT scan.
While waiting for the results of the CT scan I decided to head home because I was became a wreck and I just needed to get out of the hospital and relax for a while (we were on hour 8 and I hate hospitals!) Jason stayed with Elias and after they got the all clear on the CT scan he still wasn't acting peppy but it was undecided if it was because of the time (2am) or his illness. At that point Jason was told that he could either be admitted to receive more fluids or go home and follow up with the doc the next day. There was a lot of talk of appendix but really the only way to find out on a kid that young is to cut them open and apparently that is not common practice :) Jason opted to bring him home, and we met with the doc where it was decided that he either had a bacterial infection or mono. I tend to lean more towards mono as still to this day he is only running at about 95%. He seems to poop out easy and need more sleep then normal. I am just so thankful that no one else seems to have gotten this! I am also thankful for all the family and friends that called, or texted that they were thinking and praying for us (the reason for all the pictures, it was easy to text them to people so they knew what was going on)
Lyla being the best big sister that she is helped Elias by holding up his puke bag for him. Luckily by the time she started helping he wasn't into puking as much so she didn't really have to check his skills and she always tucked away his baggie near him so he could get to it if needed.
I learned a lot about myself during those 72ish hours. 1. I hate hospitals 2. I am so thankful for healthy kids, I would not to well with a chronically ill kid, I was literally getting sick myself I was so nervous for him and 3. I have some awesome family and friends! Thank you to everyone that checked in and helped out!
No comments:
Post a Comment